Walk In Art Center
Located two blocks from the Schuylkill River, the Walk In Art Center is housed in the former Walkin Shoe Factory, an historic three story factory built in 1887. Though a successful company for decades, the Walkin Shoe Company closed shortly after 2000.
In 2002, the empty factory became the property of Evans' Transportation when Mr. Bert Evans purchased the space. His plan was to convert the building to serve as the company's national headquarters, municipal police station and a non-profit food pantry.
In 2008, the ground work was laid for the Walk In Art Center, which was to occupy the remaining space in the building. In 2011 the Walk In Art Center obtained 501 (C)(3) Non Profit Status, and began to inspire, equip and celebrate the cultural and creative talent of Schuylkill County.